Friday, April 27, 2007

Afternoon Tea and Ice Cream

Biscuits,Chiffon cake and chocolate & ginger
and citrus ice cream...the perfect Sunday
Afternoon! Bubui Zen,Jeannie,James & Elaine at the Win Haus overlooking the valley
The "Sexy Pink" heliconia,one of
the beautiful tropical flowers in
Bubuis' garden
All dressed up for Afternoon Tea
Bubui Morris showing Jean & Halene
the fish pond
Kaure Muala with his Wahas
(Great Grandparents)
Morris & Zen Alaluku

Recently we had a French chef here teaching our kitchen girls how to make a few different dishes. Apart from the hotels,there really isn't much in the way of restaurants here in Alotau so of course the minute an experienced chef (esp. a French one!) arrives on our shores everyone (hotels that is) wants to pounce on him, including Elaine! (until she realised he was lapun,married and had a child and wasn't the hot 30-something guy I'd made him out to be....I know I'm a bitch but you had to see her face when I finally introduced them-Kilim paia blong em stret!). There's a new swish place just out of town (near gravel pit) called Driftwood, that's where you'll find Jean-Pierre if you're ever in town. I'm told he's a great cook!
Anyway, Jean-Pierre taught us how to make ice-cream and because I'd been raving on about how delicious it was, Bubu Zen wanted to sample some so, we arranged to have afternoon Tea at their place last Sunday.
Bubu Morris & Zen Alaluku have a lovely home in Goilanai overlooking the bay. They spend a lot of time in their garden and it always looks so lush and green! We decided to make an occassion of it so we all (Jeannie,Elaine,Kaure,James & I) dressed up in our Sunday best.Meaning we all wore skirts,well I wore a dress for a change!Excluding Kaure & James of course.James is an Aussie volunteer,working as a carpenter here.
He's a real clown and a crazy driver!
I ended up making two flavours-chocolate and ginger ice cream and orange & lemon. Bubu made a scrumptious chiffon cake topped with chocolate icing and sliced almonds and Jeanni bought biscuits. The ice cream hadn't totally set, but it still tasted gorgeous with the cake (if I may say so myself). Everyone enjoyed it! I was giving tips on how to make the ice cream, being the seasoned chef that I was (yeah right).It was actually the second time I tried the recipe. The first time was at Lani's B/day party. I made Lani's very own marshmellow & banana ice cream, apparently it was so sweet Jeannie said they had to drink a glass of water after each mouthful!
It was a very pleasant afternoon,I always enjoy catching up with Bubus. We ended the arvo chatting about Belly Dancing and before you knew it, we were sucking in our guts and practising the moves. This was no easy feat after having consumed several slices of Bubu's cake!
Elaine took the lead since she's had more experience than us! Bubu Zen had a cd of Belly dancing music and was so enthusiastic we even organised to meet on Saturday's for Belly Dancing lessons. Crikey! The things I get myself into!

No comments: