Monday, April 30, 2007

A sad occassion

Aunty Gwen and I
Aunty Gwen and Gillian Cholai
The coffin after it was placed on the boat
in preparation for the long journey to the
Fergusson Islands.
Mack and Lyn preparing to board the boat
at Sanderson Bay.
Kaure and Mummy Lyn Kaure and small Uncle Mack Our first photo together- Jarrotte,Kaure,
Lynette,Me and Mack



Last Thursday afternoon, I met my Aunty Gwen (my dad's sister) for the first time in a long while. It was under sad circumstances that we had to meet again.She was bringing her husband's body home to be buried in Fergusson. David Tauaule was her husband of twenty-something years, he worked closely with the Prime Minister and was known by many. I never really knew him that well and while I have much to learn of my Aunt, I was still touched by her loss.

My parents spilt up when I was 3 yrs old and my mum raised me on her own. I had little contact with my father (and his family) and I grew up always thinking of myself as an only child. In actual fact my father remarried and had 4 children (plus one adopted son so 5 kids in total). I never met those children until I arrived here in Alotau 2 yrs ago. I'm still getting used to the idea that I have siblings.

When you grow up an only child, all you long for is to have brothers and sisters like everyone else. To wait this long to finally meet my very own brother and sisters has been amazing and weird at the same time. Lyn is the eldest after me,then Zone,Jarrotte and Mack who are both at Cameron High and a younger brother who was adopted-whose name I've forgotten. I had a rare photo opportunity with Aunty Gwen,Lyn,Jarrotte and Mack while we waited for the coffin to be placed in the boat.

The only person on my Dad's side whom I have had any type of contact with, is my Aunty Gwen (and Lyn). Aunty Gwen's an awesome woman. One thing about Milne Bay people is that we love to laugh and smile and Dobuans especially have a wicked sense of humour. Aunty Gwen is no exception, she always cracks me up with her stories. In case you haven't picked it up by now, my father's from Dobu Island,he's Rex Leleibuna. So that makes me part Dobu and Sariba. Lyn's mum is also from the Fergusson Islands.
Here are some pics from that night.

No comments: